Friday 22 June, 2007

Normal Ambitions and such like

The Questions
  • Why do I not have normal ambitions and goals?
  • Why is normal a curse, a place to be rejected and simultaneously coveted (at least admiration of the normal folks) ?
The insights

  • Just what is normal really? Is it the pursuit of a well paying, respected career? Chasing achievements of money, of power, of position, of recognition?
  • Normal --> means that which most do or that which is as per some accepted standard (norm)? Majority is certainly a place I am wary of, often! Not necessarily my cup of tea/coffee!
  • Actually is there any reality to the statement -- “what majority does?” At the level of activity, huge variety exists. How do I know what their motivations and compulsions actually are? Am I just judging that normal is selfish, chasing money, feeling good, or driven by concerns of security, driven by fear?
  • May be that is just the accepted way of putting things? May be we all just chase a myth (or two) all our lives, not noticing what we have been blessed with?
  • So if normal is becoming practical, fitting-in then I certainly am not normal! Thank God for that!
  • Certainly God has placed me in circumstances where I can afford to chase the illusive dream(s). Gave me parents who were (and are) cool about the hundreds of U turns and apparently aborted journeys! Gave me a wife, a life partner, who manages the details and at the same time keeps me genuinely grounded – connected to the daily realities of Life!

  • Actually, am being normal in the sense of living as per a norm – Norm of being happy, discovering the mysteries of life and diving deep in the Divine to become intoxicated in Love and the spread it around. That is what guides me these days

  • Answer to "Why reject normal and at the same time covet the acknowledgements?
  • In days of my youth, which still surfaces, I have judged and judged harshly, others and self when fears are blatantly getting the better of the individual!
  • Now I think I know better. Back then it was a relentless pursuit of self-worth which requires me to be better (in comparison) and at the same time requires others to acknowledge me being better! Just the routine and normal dance of conditioning -- “fitting-in and standing-out”!

No comments: